We commonly hear people retorting “One of my friends is stressful and depressed these days ….” Or “she is witnessing depressed days of her life”.
So what is depressed and how do people fall in to it? Let me provide you an insight into what depressive mental disorder can do to your normal healthy life. Let us discuss the symptons of depression in detail!
Depression is a state of low mood and strong dislike to activities once you used to enjoy. It can also be defined as a type of mental disorder that affects a person’s mood. For example, it can affect the way you feel, behave and your over-all health.
Depressed people may randomly feel sad, and to make matter worse, sad thoughts keep coming into their head. Such thinking if persisted can build up in their mind, sometimes leading to extreme steps.
Causes and Symptons of Depression:
Prescription drugs or family genetics are said to be some of the causes of depression. Medications used to treat arthritis, heart problems, high blood pressure or cancer might even cause depression as an undesirable secondary effect.
Teenage depression is hard to identify as statistics show 1 in 8 adolescents can suffer from it. Unfortunately, 30 percent or more of these patients are not properly treated.
Many people with such illness are helped with appropriate treatment but many never get help as they hide their problem. It is only when close friend or family member starts noticing their behavior abnormalities that they realize the need for help.
Depression can be classified into following facts
Mild Depression: Person suffering under mild depression feels varying moods plus anxiety occurring without any readily known reason.
- Sleeping disturbances,
- Loss of interest,
- Loss of appetite,
- Getting disinterested in the act of sex,
- Unable to concentrate where by their professional work life gets considerably out of sorts
- They are extremely agitated, hot temper and irritable most of the time.
- Social activities are shunned by them;
- they spend most of the alone or sleeping even in day time even if they become tired to carry doing so.
- Person is troubled by deep sadness or loneliness, especially at night.
- They get sense of guilt, hopelessness, worthlessness and helplessness.
- Repeated thoughts of suicide, death visions trouble them.
- They do not participate in friendly social circles or family affairs and become emotionally unresponsive and detached;
- They may become introverts.
Do not worry if you display some of the above symptons of depression. There is hope for you.
People with depression can be helped by therapy or medication and other treatments even exercising can help them beat it.